“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life”
But unfortunately- it doesn’t seem to be that easy. A 2022 study by Gallup has recently revealed that a whopping 85% of the world’s population is unhappy in their employment. Given the legal industry is notorious for long hours, time pressure and a demanding culture- what can you do if you find yourself in a position that you hate?
Firstly, you need to:
- Evaluate what is making you to feel unhappy: Is it you? Is it the area of law? Is it the people or maybe it’s culture? Getting to the source of what is causing you to dislike your employment can enable you to take action that may generate change.
- What if it is you? Taking a few days off to reset or focus on your mental health may be beneficial- stress can mount in our personal lives that can cause our employment to be less enjoyable. But taking steps to regain control such as being organised, practising self-care, or speaking to a friend or therapist may bring positive energy back into your position.
What if it’s the firm or the job?
- Connections: Having a friend at work can enhance job satisfaction and encourage positive emotions. Whether it be grabbing a coffee or assisting a colleague with a problem- building relationships can encourage trust and collaboration which may make your role more enjoyable.
- Communicate: “A problem shared is a problem halved”- HR or a manager may be able to assist you. Maybe you feel burnt out, perhaps you want more responsibility, or perhaps you need career progression. Discussing your problem with a reliable member of management can ensure all possible action can be implemented.
- Give it time: Now that you have taken steps to succeed by building relationships and communicating what you need- give your workplace a reasonable time to improve.
But what if nothing changes?
- You can make a change: Perhaps the problem cannot be fixed, and it may be time to look for a new position. This can feel intimidating and overwhelming, but recruiters such as EG Consulting are specialised in the legal industry and we are here to help. We listen to your requirements; we learn what you need to thrive in a new role, and we work with you to find a position that will bring you satisfaction. Why wait? Reach out to one of our friendly consultants now.